In some parts of Jackson County, drinking water from wells has been found to contain high levels of nitrate. There is also naturally occurring fluoride (above 2 mg/L) and arsenic which can also pose health concerns. Taste and odor are not reliable indicators of these contaminants, or of nitrate and bacteria. The only way to know if your drinking water is safe to drink is to have it tested.
If you obtain drinking water from a private well, it is recommended that you test your water at least every 3 years. Test for coliform bacteria and nitrate every year if you have an older or shallow well, or live in an area with a history of high nitrate levels.
You can have your water tested for other possible contaminants at an independant lab in Medford or Grants Pass